Monday, June 2, 2014

Hayden Calnin - Shutters + Food Reflection


Happy June! Nights are warm, days are bright and wide open, life is mmmgoood :-)

Lately I've been drinking loads of delicious smoothies (yet another use for my fantabulous immersion blender) and trying to integrate more raw foods into my diet...it just feels right in California. I'd previously tried to do more raw food in Vancouver, but the climate made it such a struggle. I just wanted soup and bread through all that rain. Here, I always crave colorful, fresh, juicy things so eating more raw just makes sense. It's also great that 'raw until 4' has become so popular, making fresh uncooked food more accessible and friendly (rather than militant!). It's so wonderful when healthy, wholesome things become not just mainstream but popular. Less fries, more salad indeed. Anytime I go outside I see menus and signs advertising acai bowls everywhere, it's fantastic.

I also find that my food choices are usually a reflection of how life is going overall. When I'm busy and stressed and not grounded at all, I tend to eat comforting heavier foods and to eat unconsciously. I also crave things that are not so great for me, like coffee and baked goods. I don't feel like putting energy into food preparation. On the other hand, when I'm happy and relaxed and have time to reflect, I become much more conscious of everything around me, and of what I'm choosing to eat. I eat much more intentionally, and enjoy making wholesome, energizing choices. 

It's almost funny how much conflicting information there is out there regarding which foods are healthy and which ones should be avoided. One person's superfood is another's red light poison. The good thing is we have to learn what our own body needs anyway...since each person is unique following someone else's prescriptive diet can never work...so here's to following one's intuition and nourishing ourselves in our own special ways. Hopefully colorful ones ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lucy! Yay to following one's intuition! People are so different that there's no eating style that will work for everyone. We know ourselves best, anyway, so why have someone else tell us exactly what is best for us?

    Glad to hear you've been enjoying the produce of the season :) It's so much easier to eat well when we have access to fresh fruits and veggies (and nice weather!), isn't it? It's already easier to eat plenty of fresh veggies out here in Oregon.

    Hope you're enjoying your summer! :)

    ReplyDelete