Here are some extra tid-bits about the Winter Solstice:
- "Solstice" comes from the Latin phrase meaning "sun stands still".
- Massive prehistoric monuments (ex. Ireland's Newgrange tomb) are aligned to capture the lights at the very moment of the Winter Solstice sunrise.
- In many cultures, this is seen as a time when the year is reborn.
- In Greek mythology, the gods and goddesses met on the winter and summer solstice.
- There are countless different celebrations and traditions happening in different places and cultures at this time of the year.