Saturday, September 25, 2010

Last Weekend before Korea!!!

Good morning! It's still dark outside and I feel nice and cozy, sitting in a loft :-) I love mornings - so peaceful and rejuvenating and energizing! It's great to have some stillness and quiet before the day gets busy.

This is a Korean dish called 'japchae', which I've eaten a couple of times now. It's potato noodles with meat, veggies, sesame oil, and sesame seeds, oh and lots of garlic too - and it's sooo delicious! Good party food :-)

I've also been eating kimchi everyday. It started as a way of getting more accustomed to Korean food, but now I'm completely and utterly addicted to it and eat some every single day. There's a Korean specialty food store near my school so it's easy to pick some up before I head home. It reminds me a little bit of sauerkraut, which is also fermented cabbage, but kimchi contains more ingredients and it's pretty spicy! Yum yum!

This weekend will be all about packing and preparing for the big trip. I'm excited and also nervous...but at this point it's still not quite sinking in that in just a few days I'll be on a plane to Korea. I'll try to squeeze some extra language practice in as well - it's the language barrier that I find to be most intimidating.

I keep thinking how important it is to step outside of your comfort zone and take leaps - try new things, go to new places, meet new people, shake up old ways of doing things. It's the only way to grow and experience life fully I think. Otherwise, you're just stuck - stagnant and uninspired. I like feeling safe and comfortable, but all the greatest times in my life happened because of change and going beyond the familiar. Lately, there have been a lot of changes in my life and in some ways it's felt like waking up and feeling so much more alive! So yes, I hope I am learning to embrace change and to go with the flow, without resisting or running away from things. Carpe diem ;-)

Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. How exiting!! I know that when I was going to China, it didn't seem quite real until I was actually doing the last bit of packing. I love how you're immersing yourself in Korean culture, right down to the food! I adore kimchi myself, so I can see why you're eating it every day. I imagine that the authentic kimchi in Korea will be exquisite! I can't wait to see pictures and hear your descriptions of the food, the people, the culture ... I'm so excited for you :D

    Good luck with the rest of your packing, Lucy! I'm eagerly anticipating your first Korea update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Kimchi is so good!

    I'm so excited for your trip to Korea! You're going to have such an incredible time. Looking forward to hearing about everything (Jessie has said it above, to a tee!)

    When you get back we SHOULD meet. haha. I've been too nutzo lately (school is crazy busy) but things should be more settled soon (fingers crossed)!

    D

    ReplyDelete