Saturday, September 4, 2010

There and back again...

Wow, I missed August altogether, how did that happen?? I guess that's what vacation time is all about though - slipping into the present moment and forgetting about time completely :-) I feel so much better now - reenergized, refreshed, rested, and ready for whatever comes next. I also started meditating regularly again - in the evenings by candlelight - nice!

It definitely feels like transition time right now - the sun is setting earlier, the weather is changing, there's a crispness in the air, I'm eating apples again, and lots of people around me are moving/starting new jobs/going back to university/etc. It's an exciting time for sure!

My big news is that I'm travelling to Korea for the first time ever at the end of this month. I'm only going for one week, but since I've never been to Asia before it's going to be a huge, brand new experience for me. Hopefully a positive one :-) Learning about Korean culture from my students has been so incredible - I never predicted when I first started my job that I would have such an enriching and deep experience, but now I understand that the whole beauty of the school comes from the bonds that are made between everyone there. We are all sharing this experience of coming together, learning together, laughing together, and learning about each other in a very positive and supportive environment. It's absolutely wonderful!

Photo time - this one was taken in Whistler. I went there once before in the wintertime but going in the summer was completely different and so much fun! This was the amazing view from my lakeside hotel. The best part of the trip was doing the Peak to Peak - going to the top of Whistler mountain on a gondola, then taking a chairlift even higher up, then taking a gondola from the top of Whistler to the top of Blackcomb mountain, and then taking a chairlift all the way down. It was incredibly exhilarating and I'd love to do it again! We ate our lunch at the top of a mountain, ahhh, so nice.

And now for the last thing I cooked. Simple fare: a brown rice black bean risotto. In one pot I cooked brown rice with sauteed onions and garlic. I used extra water to make it really soft and creamy. In another pan, I sauteed lots of veggies including red bell pepper, onion, celery, and lots of mushrooms. When the rice was ready I added it to the pan, along with some black beans.

Now it's time to enjoy the long weekend! Three days off, woohoo! It's important to soak up the last bit of Summer :-)

Cheerio!

3 comments:

  1. You're going to Korea! Woo! How exciting! I'm pumped for you and can't wait to hear about your experiences, and of course to see your lovely photos! What a great way to soften the "fall" into the new season ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Korea, wow!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Just experiencing another culture will be so exciting and eye-opening - I know it was for me. What will you be doing there? Please do take lots of pictures because I can't wait to see and read about your experiences!

    It really does feel like a transition time out there! I've been eating my first fresh apples and baking and cooking heartier things. I'd love to add your simple-yet-filling risotto to my rotation. Creamy, warm foods feel just right for Fall :)

    Have a wonderful day, Lucy! It's great to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, Darryn you make me laugh :-) I hope I can be as brave as you when I go travelling - I've never gone alone before and now I'll be going alone AND to a brand new continent. Although I have a wonderful Korean friend who will be by my side the whole time :-)

    I've been eating lots of fresh apples too, Jessie! They're so crisp and juicy and sweet - absolutely delectable :-) There's something really comforting about Fall foods and harvest time, it's definitely a wonderful season to enjoy. Have a great day too!

    ReplyDelete