Sunday, May 31, 2009

The End of May

Well, today is the last day of May! And what a stunning way to finish the month off - it was another gorgeous Sunday that drove people outdoors, unable to resist the urge to soak up the sun, splash around in the ocean, and eat an ice cream cone :) It's amazing how much the weather can effect us, I think I've said this ten billion times already, but it's so true! All we need is a burst of sunshine, some blue sky, and we're good to go.

I just started reading a book called 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle' by Barbara Kingsolver and even just a few pages in it's already fantastic! So far it reminds me a bit of 'The 100 Mile Diet', another eye-opening, informative, and fun read. I love that the desire to feel connected to our food and to the land we live on is becoming such a powerful force now. So many people are wanting to eat local, organic, and to grow some of their own food. I love it! Not only is industrial farming not sustainable, but I think we have such a strong need inside of us to feel that sense of connection and to have a relationship with our land and the beautiful plants that come from it. When you nurture and care for that land, putting effort, sweat, and love into the relationship, it's impossible not to appreciate, enjoy, and feel grateful for the deliciousness and sustenance that come out of it. The land needs us, and we need it too. And we ourselves come from it as well, dirt and all :) I can't wait to see what the future will bring, and to get some hands on farming experience myself too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment