Monday, June 17, 2013

She & Him - I Could've Been Your Girl


It's a cool and cozy evening, the lights are dim, and I can't help but romanticize the past, when people gathered around the fireside and created their own entertainment instead of falling asleep in front of their TVs. Yes, I generalize. But to a certain extent I think this is really true - lack of transportation forced people to invest in their local communities and lack of technology meant that instead of looking up to celebrities, people had to rely on their own creativity to express themselves, entertain each other, and enjoy life. 

Everyone is creative in their own way, but now it seems as though this has to be validated by winning a reality show or being featured on some sort of screen, or else that creativity is rendered worthless. I'm sure there are lots of people hanging out and playing guitar for each other and such, but I imagine there are a lot more who prefer to go to concerts by "professional" musicians than listen to their friend in the living room. 

To me, it seems natural to want to dance, sing, express yourself, connect with others, feel alive...these things shouldn't be a privilege. When I think of all the people who try, who sing and paint and write and make themselves vulnerable in the desire to articulate who they are and to be part of the world, only to be silenced, criticized, or simply left unheard...it really is heartbreaking. But I think it happens to most of us at some point or another. I guess the next step is to keep trying, and to value your own creative voice even if you don't happen to be Beyonce or Renoir. Plus, it's always better to sing/dance/write/paint/create little sculptures out of yogurt containers than to watch Master Chef. Or you could always just do both at the same time. Preferably with your friends, by the fireside :-)

2 comments:

  1. "I can't help but romanticize the past, when people gathered around the fireside and created their own entertainment instead of falling asleep in front of their TVs."

    Yes but... those people were probably rich and comfortable, while all the rest of people worked their hands to the bone and fell asleep as soon as they got home so the people having tea parties around the fire could enjoy their crumpets. :)

    But devil's advocate aside, it's true that creative expression is so important. I wish I took more time to do this myself. But the nice thing (and the bad thing too, I guess) about the Internet is that it gives people an outlet to share their creations. Of course, this opens them up to the terrible criticisms that you mention, but to accepting audiences as well.

    PS- I must keep up with your blog better, it's really great. I feel guilty about never blogging, so I end up going for long stretches without reading other blogs.

    I'm impressed with how you bang out great little posts - I should do this more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above - we are more connected to people around the world than ever before: I have friends in countries all over the world, and I've traveled more than I ever thought I would because of technology and because of living in a country where I have enough resources to do so. But I can't help thinking about how I know more about my friends overseas than I do about some of my neighbors. And I miss having time for last-minute get togethers and more casual conversation, even though I know much of it is due to the choices I've made. And as for sharing creations - it's so important to express yourself in whichever medium we enjoy most; and yet it's difficult to silence criticism. Even my "non serious" writing (the blog) can be a source of stress - and that's where I'm supposed to relieve stress!

    I'm not sure where I'm going with this :P but as always, you've given me a lot to think about! If we lived in the time when people gathered around the fireside, I think you'd be Lucy the philosopher :)

    Have a great weekend and enjoy your friends!

    ReplyDelete