Monday, February 20, 2012

Watching: Friday Night Lights




My most recent obsession (or at least one of them) is the TV drama Friday Night Lights. It's not a new show but I was never particularly drawn to it before since it's about high school American football...in a small town in Texas. Things that I am not familiar with in the slightest. However, I kept hearing about how amazing and fantastic it is so I gave it a chance, and I was completely hooked from the very first episode.

The show isn't so much about football as it is about the people living in this town and their relationships, goals, fears, etc. The portrayal is so realistic, it feels like you're also part of it all, experiencing all the highs and lows along with the other townspeople. 

I also like how the female characters are portrayed in this drama. My favourite character is the coach's wife, Tami. Instead of being sidelined while he takes the glory and makes all the big decisions, her part is equally important and her voice is always heard and respected. She is never subservient and she also makes a big impact through her role as a guidance counselor at the high school. And she's kind of tough, which she has to be in order to be the coach's wife, but also her own person. Their daughter is also very smart, independent, and sure of herself in a good way. She is self reliant and confident without being self-centered and idiotic, as teenage girls are often presented. So far, I have agreed with all of her choices and admired her for standing up to her father. Although his point of view is also understandable and one we can sympathize with. Ahem. Moving on...

I can't wait to watch the rest of the show. It's so compelling that time always flies by and before I know it, I've watched 3 episodes in a row. But that's the best part of watching TV shows after they've already finished - you don't have to wait a week for the next ep, just dive right in and turn it into a mini marathon. Make sure to include some popcorn, tea, and a blanket :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment